Timeless Thoughts is a monthly blog linkup hosted by Georgie and Tara, where bloggers would write about something from their past. Any topic from the past will do – it can be a place, an event, an item, or an old hobby. The linkup starts on the first Saturday of each month and runs for two weeks.
My siblings, like all teenagers of their time, loved listening to music. I remember my sister watching MTV in full volume at home, and I definitely remember my family going on a weekly trip to the music store to buy the latest Westlife, Backstreet Boys, NSync, Britney Spears, and Boyzone albums1.
Recently, I stumbled upon a Facebook video compilation of famous 90s and early 2000s pop songs that defined our generation’s childhood. Since many of these songs are still staple karaoke songs during parties, some Facebook users turned this into a game where you have to watch the video without humming or singing along! It was so difficult because when I love a song I really get the urge to sing along with it!
Anyway, I did the challenge with my friend Lisette. While we did this just to get rid of boredom, I thought it would be nice to share it with everyone as well. I think it would be fun to share the video so you guys could know some of my (and my fellow 90s kids’) favorite songs2!
(Don’t worry if you can’t understand what we’re saying in Filipino/Tagalog, we’re just reacting and aren’t saying anything important lol)
My score: 10/18
Lisette’s score: 13/18
A difficult challenge, indeed. As you can see, I lost as soon as the first song played. Lol!
So, did you hear some of your favorites as well? 😛
- One funny memory I had was buying the latest NSync album and hearing its bonus track: the Spanish version of “This I Promise You”. I cried because I couldn’t understand the lyrics. My brother, always ready to make fun of me, told me that it was in a different language because I had unknowingly bought a fake album of another group pretending to be NSync. LOL! ↩
- The songs on the video are as follows (there was no #13 on the video for some reason!):
- Shape Of My Heart – Backstreet Boys
- This I Promise You – *NSYNC
- I Do (Cherish You) – 98 Degrees
- My Love – Westlife
- I Knew I Loved You – Savage Garden
- Oops I Did It Again – Britney Spears
- Bring Me To Life – Evanescence
- I Want It That Way – Backstreet Boys
- Tearin’ Up My Heart – *NSYNC
- Love Me For A Reason – Boyzone
- Queen Of My Heart – Westlife
- Sometimes – Britney Spears
- Everytime – A1
- Stuck In My Heart – C21
- I’m All About You – Aaron Carter
- All Or Nothing – O-Town
- Here Without You – 3 Doors Down
- One Sweet Day – Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men ↩